Welcome

This blog is a review site. I (and hopefully others) will be reviewing things from anime to manga to video games and a plethora of other topics.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Spooktacular Games: Ghosts and Goblins

Since it is eve of Halloween, it is time to add another game to the spooktacular list. This time it is Ghosts and Goblins.
Ghosts and Goblins (1985) is a platformer that is regarded as one of the hardest games in history (I can't pass stage 2 although I haven't spent much time playing). I can only speak on this game (I can't speak on its sequels I have played only a small amount Ghouls and Ghosts, and that was a long time ago, but it is a bit easier). What can be said about a game that can be beaten in the span of a few hours (or 20 minutes if you are really good)? Not all that much.

You play the knight, Sir Arthur, who is trying to save his girlfriend Princess Prin Prin, who has been kidnapped by Satan, King of the Demon World. Over the course of 6 stages (with 1 checkpoint in each...I think) you kill zombies, cyclopes, dragons, birds, ogres among others, and can collect a few weapons (I have seen a lance, fire and knives and I think there are weapons like an axe and a shield). The game is difficult in that you can only get hit twice (one breaks your armor, the second kills you) before losing one of your 3 lives, and extra armor and extra lives are extremely rare (I don't think I've ever even seen an extra life) and each life is timed (about 3 minutes). And in some sadistic twist, after you "defeat" Satan and save your girlfriend you must go back and complete the game a second time on a harder difficulty. Overall a simple game with a simple premise, however it is one of the hardest games ever. But don't let this dissuade you from playing, it is still quite fun (although it is likely more fun on an emulator with all (three of) the cheats enabled.

And one last thing: What made me want to play this game again:
Check out Brentalfloss' other videos (some really great stuff) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment